The Field of Chefs

Monday, January 21, 2008

     Just got back from 3 fantastic days in Sheffield.  We arrived by train at 2 am so we pretty much went straight to sleep.  Nick (Erica's boyfriend) has an amazing student flat with 7 rooms in it.  It is right down the street from the Uni in Sheffield (which is also beautiful).  I'm quite jealous of their comfy accommodations compared to my little cell block.  Some of his roommates were out of town for the weekend so Liz and I got quiet, roomy beds all to ourselves, such wonderful nights sleep!  So Saturday we girls were on our continued mission for boots and jackets.  I found an amazing pare of boots that I didn't buy because they were £100, did find a wonderful and cheap scarf, though!  We ate at a nice little sandwich shop and went to Champs to watch the football game (Sheffield Wednesday vs Sheffield United).  Then it was off to the mall where I bought a fantastic jacket and a really cheap dress and top.  We ate dinner and went back to the flat where we met up with some of Nick's friends/roommates and headed out to a bar and then to a new club.  The picture is of us (Nick, James, Sam, Me, Erica, Craig and Liz) at a bar before the club.  Such a fun night!    

 Next day we got up and drove to the countryside where we ran in the mud after some sheep (never caught any, of course) and got a bit muddy.  It was beautiful nonetheless and this picture is of the area we walked through in Chesterfield.  Then we headed over to the town of Bakewell (which they do) where Nick went to school and had a rather unsatisfying lunch (as we were all starving) and so we decided to hit up some of the bakeries to see what we could find.  I, personally, found a toffee fudge cake that I needed (yes, needed) to buy a slice of.  It took me three sittings to finish it all, but I did it and was totally satisfied.  We came home, relaxed and went to the movies to see Dan In Real Life (sappy, but good aside from watching Dane Cook be ackward in a serious role).
     Nick's friends are super fun and hopefully I will get to go back to Sheffield before I come back home.  For now, I have a lot of reading to finish for later this week, but just so you all know, Nights at the Circus (the first book I'm tackling) is more amazing the further I get into it.  If you like a bit of fantasy with your fiction, you should definitely consider it.  Love you and miss you all!

5 comments:

it said...

Hey Sissy!!! It's Cam. Just so you know, I made Mom and Dad a blog so that they can leave you comments too. Their blog name is "urParents". Guess what! Today, Dad and I went to LA to see the Murakami exibit at MOCA. It wasnt much fun without you though. Although, we did get you a murakami postcard. Well, actually, we got you three. But, they're all different so that you don't get tired of them.I miss you sooooooooooooooooooooooooooo much Sis. Bye

Ahhh! Shley said...

hey thanks for getting me those postcards, boots!! You know, you don't have to have a blog to leave me comments, you just have to post under "anonymous" and then make sure you put your name in it so I know who it is! But thank you for caring so much, it just makes me miss you more! I'm glad you got to go to the exhibit, and a little jealous too, you'll have to tell me all about it sometime!

it said...

Wait a minurte! You're telling me that I didnt have to make a blog? So, I went through all that trouble for nothing? I fell like such an idiot. Oh well, I have one now so it dosn't matter. Thanks for telling me though.

Ahhh! Shley said...

It just shows you care, which is just as good as if you actually needed one in the first place. :)

Anonymous said...

Yo cuz,

Fine job on lining up St. Patty's Day in Dublin. Sweeeeeeeeeet!! It's probably too expensive, but if you can swing a weekend in Cologne during Karneval (like Mardi Gras, but colder and much more beer), you should do it! The dates float around from year to year based on Ash Wednesday. I believe the celebration this year starts on JAN 31st (not much time). I have friends there that might tolerate a couple of you for a couple of nights lodging.

Word to the wise regarding shopping, don't blow too much $ early on. You've got to have some still available once I get there. Another tip - try to make sure you hang with the locals as much as possible. They'll teach you the lay of the land, and the proper use of all the great slang (wanker, tosser, tart, slapper, etc.)

Study and party hard!
D