Conditional Love

Monday, February 16, 2009

I've been thinking about this the past two days. The notions of conditional versus unconditional love are complicated, when you think about it. The only unconditional love that is absolute is God's love for us. Sure we can say that we love someone unconditionally, but how true to form is that? Will we really be around when the going gets tough, I mean, reaaaaaaallly tough.

To expand on that, I guess I feel like people sometimes walk on the opposite side of the fence and, to a certain extent, tell it how it is. What ends up happening is that people put too many conditions on love. We ask questions like, "Would you still love me if I laughed like Fran Drescher?" "Nope!" Now, is that necessarily true? No, but on a slightly more serious note, what happens when the question becomes, "Would you still love me if I got in a horrible car accident and lost both of my legs and my ability to speak?" Well... would you? That's a tough question, Ryan had a point when he said that you probably couldn't accurately answer that question until it happened, but what about if you know that the answer is no? Can you still profess your love for that person knowing it's not unconditional? I suppose it's hard to answer the bigger question when you're going off of examples, but my point is that sometimes we get so caught up in asking, "Will you love me if..." That our relationship becomes more of a shell, with nothing inside. We create a set of conditions that make us comfortable and anything outside of that is mutually unsavory... we don't like it, we don't want it, we won't have it. We leave no room for the unexpected. Where's the chaos and the dirt? The bumps and bruises create dimension, add a little flare.

What are we so scared of?

2 comments:

Christie Murray said...

Good post, Ashley! I've enjoyed reading your blog lately. Found you off of Trevor and Becky's. :)

chantel said...

well even though i wanted you here the rain gave you a chance to write!